The Sweet Peace
Oct. 9, I read my Bible for 20 minutes, as I waited
for a friend to join me for lunch. He had been kept late at work so it gave me
plenty of time to read. It was amazing how fulfilled it made me feel, how my
depression and doubts faded. I have always enjoyed reading my Bible, but to
often I allow the things of this world to get in my way. But yesterday I felt
the world and its distracting possessions drift away. My struggles were none
existent as I read. It was just my God and I spending time together, like
hanging out with my best friend on a warm autumn day.
The peace I felt was like nothing I have ever
really known; I couldn't even understand it. I haven't felt any peace for quite
some time, if I ever really have. I recently had to quit my job because one of
my managers was making my life there miserable. The gossip he spread about me
made it feel like a war zone every day. I dreaded going to work and seeing my
coworkers disapproving faces and hearing the latest rumor. It's still constantly
on my mind, even though my job has changed, sending me into a deep depression.
But that day, during my Bible reading it no longer existed, I was free of it
for the first time in three months.
I look forward to more peaceful moments as I
continue on with my challenge. More moments free of the pain so many have
inflicted on me as of late. What other wonders could he possibly have ahead of
me and my time spent with him? What other memories can I overcome with his
help, in his word? I now see the adventure in reading my Bible every day.
Though I still struggle to do it I now have this strong need to read it.

No comments:
Post a Comment